Friday, July 29, 2011

July 29, 2011 : 2011년 7월 29일

The kids went to Gyeongju today, which was the former capitol of Korea during the Shilla period.  They saw the tombs of the kings, which are huge mounds of dirt.



AJ had thought we were going to see real kings.

AJ: Where are the kings?
Me: In the ground.
AJ:  They're lost?
Me: Not exactly.
AJ: Then why can't I see them?
Me: They're dead, AJ.  They are buried in the ground.
AJ:  Mommy, I'm a dog in Korea? (his Asian sign of the zodiac)
Me: Yes.
AJ:  Mommy, dogs can dig really well.  I can find the kings for you.

After awhile AJ got tired, and all of the adults refused to carry him.  But BJ stepped up:
Grandpa was SOOOO impressed.

BJ, though, was very mpressed with the fire-breathing flying horse that appeared on the ornaments of the time.  It has been replicated in statues:
And on barn doors:

But the real fun was AFTER the tombs when my children got to ride little ATVs.  They are SO LIKE THEIR FATHER!!!!  I wish I could have gotten videos of BJ's buzzing around people with MAYBE an inch on each side or BJ's driving around the track completely backwards (which I felt pbliged to tell him not to do, even though I was secretly proud), or AJ's driving right over the tires in his way.  I did get this video though.

No comments: